What is David’s state of mind at the beginning of this Psalm (V. 1-2)?
- He feels like being forgotten by God, forgotten forever!
- He is agonized at the silence of God towards his prayers.
- His relationship with God seems broken for a considerable time.
- He questions God’s providence and protection.
- He thinks that God has turned his face from him.
- He is in a state of being forsaken.
- ‘How long’ is used 4 times in first two verses, that goes to show his inner struggle and questioning with God. He knows the goodness and faithfulness of God, yet he is devastated by God’s silence in time of need.
- His heart is filled with sorrow every day, there is a constant anguish, grief and pain in his heart.
- He constantly wrestles with his thoughts. There is a warfare in his mind and heart.
- His enemies are triumphant over him. He feels crushed by his enemies.
- His questioning and complaining turns into prayer for help.
- He prays for
- Attention and Answer of his prayer – for God seemed silent and distant.
- “Giving light to his eyes!” - Strengthen my faith, restore / revive his spirit. (Psalm 6:7)
- He prays for rescue from his enemy.
- His prayers changes his perspective.
- V. 5 : – “But (in spite of his current situation) I trust in your unfailing love (mercy – KJV), my heart rejoices in your salvation.”
- His prayers brings faith, hope and assurance.
- Faith : – “Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see.” (Hebrews 11:1)
- Hope: – “For in this hope we were saved. But hope that is seen is no hope at all. Who hopes for what he already has? But if we hope for what we do not yet have, we wait for it patiently.” (Romans 8:24-25)
- The psalm ends with Praise and thanksgiving for the goodness and faithfulness of the Lord. The situation has not been changed, but the perspective has been changed.
“Enlighten my Eyes” -
Let my eyes of faith be clear,
that I may see my God in the time of silence.
Let my eyes of watchfulness be wide open,
lest I be entrapped.
Let my eyes of understanding be illuminated,
to see the right ways.
Let your light be filled in my heart,
that all the darkness be departed!